Wednesday 25 March 2015

Exam.... Exam

Had it been my rule I myself would have given them books inside the exam hall to copy and write,” - Mr. Lalu Prasad
Though his words are to be taken with a pinch of salt, it invoked few thoughts within me.
March being the exam month, every day I am witnessing the anxious parents, stressful students and worried teachers. I came across many students who brought chits with answers to the exam room. When they are caught, often the reason would be – “In spite of studying hard I couldn’t memorise this answer” , “There is no one to help me at home” or “what if I  lose  the class topper position ?” Their tearful eyes and “Ma’am please don’t tell my parents”…..plea pricks me and even threatens me.

The whole purpose of education is to make the child aware of the basic concepts. But along the way a lot of stress is added and it goes deep into their personality. In fact, when I am too tired mentally/physically myself, I often wake at midnight seeing a dream - where I am in an exam hall with a question paper and realise that I have prepared for a different subject. Sometimes I would not have written a single answer and the school bell rings, or results are declared and I have failed miserably, and so on…..

But where is the solution? The chances of our education system bringing open book method till secondary level are next to impossible. So we should help our children to face the exams in a cheerful spirit. Can we not totally stop them playing during exams? Can we talk less about marks and future plans at home? Can we educate them about the importance of knowledge to be gained rather than money? Can we ourselves keep away from the T.V and smart phones thus teach our children by setting an example?

After all our children are our future and they deserve a stress free, happy and joyful childhood. What do you say?... 

No comments:

Post a Comment